Imagine it… clean, clear, fresh, pure water — flowing freely from every tap in your home.
It sounds unbelievable, but ozone technology has made it possible — and it is available right here in Trinidad and Tobago.
David Ablack happened upon this technology by chance, when he was looking for an alternative to bottled water and wanted to find a way to sanitise the water in his storage tank at home.
“I needed an alternative to chemicals to control the bacteria in the water,” he explained.
His research led him to companies around the world including Israel, Canada, Australia, and the U.K. — but no one seemed to have the solution he was looking for. Eventually, he stumbled upon ozone technology, but it was not an ideal fit.
Much of the research that went into the development of the solution was conducted under different environmental conditions. For example, high humidity levels in the Caribbean region caused dry-rotting and equipment failure.
“But once I adapted the technology to our needs and equipment, it worked wonders in my home,” Ablack said.
“So I thought: ‘I’m drinking this water, bathing in it, doing laundry, washing my food in it… why can’t we all have good, clean water in our homes?‘ ”
Together with his brother Paul, David Ablack created CaribOzone. With the help of Paul’s business acumen and experience running a successful firm in the U.S., they partnered with U.S. company DEL Ozone, and leveraged upon the parent company’s experience — more than 30 years and over 2,000,000 ozone systems sold worldwide — to provide an efficient water purification system to Trinbagonians.
Ozone Technology: The Basics
Ozone technology is used to purify water. If you have a terminally ill friend or family member, you may have heard about ozone therapy, an alternative treatment for cancer, lupus and other diseases.
Health therapy is only one of the things ozone is used for. Ozone’s use as a water purifier was discovered in the late 1800’s in the Netherlands. Today, more than 30 countries use ozone systems to disinfect and purify drinking water.
Ozone exists naturally in our atmosphere, occurring when the ultraviolet rays of the sun strike oxygen molecules, creating what we know as the “ozone layer” which absorbs the sun’s energy and protects us from harmful sun rays. It is also produced when lightning flashes — you may recognise it as that sweet, fresh smell in the aftermath of a storm.
Scientifically speaking, ozone is a form of oxygen created when electrical energy breaks apart an ordinary oxygen molecule (O2), starting a chemical reaction that results in ozone (O3). It’s this third oxygen atom that makes the ozone molecule so unstable, which is the key to its oxidizing power.
It attaches to chemicals, oxidizing — i.e. destroying — them. Ozone then reverts to oxygen, after lasting only about 20 minutes, thereby cleaning the water supply and dissipating on its own.
Its instability and short life span is the reason why ozone needs to be generated on-site, as it must be produced and supplied continuously. Ozone is “used up” in the oxidation process, and has to be re-supplied.
However, once ozonated, the water remains safe to drink and use.
Benefits of Ozone Technology in your water
Ozone is Efficient
- Improved water quality and clarity
- No offensive colours, odors or tastes
- It is 200 times more powerful than chlorine in oxidizing organic contaminants
- It enables filtering of iron, sulfur, manganese, and hydrogen sulfide
- It eliminates the need for bottled water
Ozone is Safe
- Ozone is 100% natural and biodegradable
- There are no chemical byproducts in water sanitised by ozone
- The only by-product from ozone disinfection is oxygen (and we can never have enough of that!)
- Ozone eliminates chlorine, which is known to form the carcinogen, trihalomethane
Ozone Eliminates Contaminants
- Ozone destroys bacteria, viruses, mold, and mildew
- Ozone oxides and kills 99.99% of all known microrganisms in water including E.coli, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium
- Ozone is an antimicrobial disinfectant
- Ozone removes chlorine, chemical byproducts and chemical residue
Beyond the Science: The Benefit to You
- It tastes like fresh spring water — right from your tap
- If you’re a coffee or tea-drinker, it improves the taste
- Washing meat — no need to use lime to get the freshness off, ozonated water does it for you
- No more rings or limescale stains in your toilet bowl
- If you have sleep apnea, it is an excellent replacement for the “distilled” water recommended by doctors
- While chlorine can break down if left dormant in a storage tank, ozonated water will not — not to mention chlorinated water is unsafe to drink!
- It’s an ideal solution if you’re one of the fortunate few in T&T to own a pool, and it won’t damage your hair and skin like chlorine (In fact, pools are one of the parent company DEL Ozone’s biggest markets).
- You won’t have to spend a cent further on bottled water — fill up your own!
The CaribOzone Solution
- The Aquaclipse Water Purifier continuously pumps ozone bubbles into the water storage tank to oxidise and kill impurities in the water. The Aquaclipse treats 5,000 gallons of water a day, providing a constant supply of clear purified water to your home.
- The Filtration System provides powerful water disinfection that will work perfectly with existing filtration systems. Additionally, an optional filtration system can be installed to complement the CaribOzone Solution.
- The CaribOzone Service Agreement ensures that the solution is operating at optimal levels at all times. This covers quarterly inspections and maintenance, free part replacements (except filters), and discounts on filters. Best of all, if there is an issue with the system, CaribOzone takes the unit off the wall and immediately replaces it with a brand new system.
For Ablack, the solution’s key selling point — and the reason he’s thrown his heart and soul into the business over the last year and a half — is the peace of mind.
“Never having to buy water again… watching your kids running around under the hose… when you open your mouth under the shower… it’s these moments you don’t even realise, that’s where the magic is,” he said. “It truly changes the way you think about water. Clean water just becomes a part of your life.”
For more information on CaribOzone, visit www.caribozone.com and its parent company DEL Ozone at www.delozone.com.
Quick Facts: What You Need To Know
- If you are looking for a satisfied customer, drop into Flair Restaurant & Bar in Woodbrook and sample their yummy (yes, yummy!) water.
- You will need to have a tank! The technology can only be used on a water storage source.
- For the environmentally conscious, rest assured: electrical consumption of the unit is only about the equivalent of a 60-watt lightbulb. You can also control the consumption with the timer on the unit, and ozonate only half the day or less.
- It takes approximately three (3) hours to install the system, and after half an hour a medium-sized tank will be fully ozonated.
- It is not ideal for large corporations in big buildings with a large or distributed water supply as this presents some difficulties in terms of logisitics. While the parent company deals with these, CaribOzone is tailored for residential homes and small businesses.
- And finally (the answer to the million-dollar question!): The cost of the solution is $12,995 installed — a bit steep, but then again you won’t have to worry about water — or buy water — ever again.